The 20th of June, 2023, hides a surprise for all listeners of the extreme metal sound, in Athens, as Chelsea Grin is visiting the capital of Greece, for one ferocious deathcore night! As the American band is ready to tear down An Club, Myth of Rock is looking at some interesting points concerning Chelsea Grin.
by Dimitris Zacharopoulos
- Chelsea Grin was formed in 2007 in Salt Lake City, Utah.
- Their style is deathcore, a mixture of death metal and hardcore.
- They were founded under the name Ahaziah.
- The phrase “chelsea grin” refers to a grisly facial torture practice.
- They started as a five-piece, consisting of singer Alex Koehler, guitarists Michael Stafford and Chris Kilbourn, bassist Austin Marticorena, and drummer Andrew Carlston.
- They have gone through numerous line-up changes, so, since 2018, no founding members remain in the band.
- They began with a self-titled EP (via Statik Factory), and their full-length debut, “Desolation of Eden”, was released in 2010 (via Artery).
- “Desolation of Eden” was recorded at Lambesis Studios in San Marcos, California, and produced by As I Lay Dying vocalist and studio founder, Tim Lambesis.
- Early in 2011, Chelsea Grin went into the studio with Hatebreed and the Red Chord producer Chris "Zeuss" Harris to work on their follow-up album, “My Damnation” (2011).
- Since then, the band released more full-lengths albums, such as “Ashes to Ashes” in 2014 and “Self Inflicted” in 2016.
- 2018 was an important year for Chelsea Grin, because, apart from the release of the “Eternal Nightmare” album, they ended their tenure of featuring three guitarists to now only featuring one. Vocalist Koehler departed from the band and was replaced with Tom Barber (Lorna Shore).
- In summer 2022, the band announced they would be releasing a double album, which will be split as two separate releases. The first album, “Suffer in Hell”, was released on November 11, 2022, while the second album, “Suffer in Heaven”, was released on March 17, 2023.
- Chelsea Grin is a relentless live act, as they have embarked on many headline tours in America and Europe and played with well-known bands like The Agonist, Born Of Osiris, Motionless in White, The Black Dahlia Murder, Suicide Silence, Ice Nine Kills etc.
- Their current line-up is as follows: David Flinn (bass), Pablo Viveros (drums, backing vocals), Stephen Rutishauser (lead guitar) and Tom Barber (lead vocals). Nathan Pearson is now on drums as a session member, since Viveros is on hiatus from the band.
- Chelsea Grin belongs to the deathcore crème de la crème, however, they have many other elements in their sound – djent, electronica, doom metal, symphonic metal, progressive metal etc.
This evening is going to be a deathcore holocaust – Chelsea Grin promises that and we know they aren’t kidding! They are now in their best shape and it’s time to let them prove it!